Thursday, October 27, 2005

Ahh, the joys of geeking out...

On Saturday I was visiting a friend of mine who recently bought a house over in the Winter Springs area. While there, I ran across a CD he had of a game from Sierra called Alien Legacy. I remember playing this game from hours on end, and it took me back.

So the next day, when at home, I decided to get out my bad-ass gaming box. This thing has specs that'll make you drool. The box is a loaded 486DX-33MHz with a whopping 16MB of RAM (probably worth about $800 retail), a fantastic Number Nine #9GFX VESA Local Bus (VLB) graphics card, Sound Blaster 16 sound card, and an Adaptec ISA SCSI card. That's right... Both the CD-ROM drive and hard drive are SCSI. I even wound up upgrading from the 400MB drive I was using to an enormous 2 "gigabyte" hard disk. And for the heck of it, I also decided to order a VLB SCSI card to replace the ISA one I had. This thing's definitely a screamer, and no idea how I got my hands on it :-)
Needless to say, Alien Legacy ran really well on it.

Oh, wait... It's 2005, not 1993... That machine's probably someone's old junk collection that they'd pay me to take away. :-D

Well, in reality, its a machine I decided to build a couple years ago with the goal of being the uber-dream-machine from 1993'ish, to run those old games really well. At this point, the only other upgrade I'd even consider would be for a 408DX2-66, simply because TIE Fighter can get jerky at times.

In any case, I also chose a fitting name for this machine... Phologiston.

No comments: